Thursday 8 August 2019

Annual Report 2018-19 Cllr Steve Hall, Heckmondwike


Attendance at full council has been 9 out of 9 =100%
Strategic planning 12 out of 13 =92%

I have also been a sub on both the Huddersfield planning and Heavy woollen planning committees chairing the Heavy Woollen on one occasion.

I have attended the Kirklees Labour group meetings 15 out of 19 =79%.

Training
I have had my yearly training on planning.
Licencing.
Quarterly briefings for the planning chairs (Strategic Heavy Woollen and Huddersfield)
Child Sexual Exploitation
Safeguarding.


Other meeting and briefings have been about the local plan meet the police and town centre upgrades.

Ward work
This last year has been more of a mixed bag this year. We have had two big planning applications in Heckmondwike both were refused but went to appeal. We won the application on White Lee road Heckmondwike/Batley which lead onto another application being withdrawn. And another application which at appeal a big factor was to have inert infill of a railway cutting this part was kicked out by the inspector.

Even though these were in my own ward I see these victories as a job well done by the committee members and officers and the members of the local public.

We have had numerous applications for both private hereditaments and business.

Our usual time of the year problems like public rights of way getting overgrown roadside trees narrowing lanes grass not being cut and grass being cut but looking a mess. Then we have the pot holes and even pot holes in pot holes. I am constantly reporting fly tipping and street lights that don’t work.

Our roads have suffered over the years of austerity and I am constantly reporting Hollingbank lane and Dale lane estate as these roads are breaking up.

I have reported people for speeding and parking in stupid places.

I have continued to attend Friends of Firths park meetings. We are looking at what improvements can be done like a walking path round the park. Lighting and Wi-Fi along with robust keep fit and play equipment. We want the lighting round the cycle speedway to be upgraded and the petanque is getting bigger and better hosting a British open competition with some teams coming from Europa.

I have attended meetings of Heckylights and taken part in walks around the town centre to highlight problems. We are currently looking to set up a friends of Heckmondwike cemetery.

I attend my Local Labour party branch meetings more often as chair and also our Batley and Spen constituency meetings with our MP Tracy Brabin.

I now have a new ward colleague in Aafaq Butt who has replaced my long time mate David Sheard which now makes me the senior councillor in Heckmondwike starting my 20th year. I along with my two ward colleagues Cllr Viv Kendrick and Cllr Butt will continue to work for the people of Heckmondwike.

I started a part time job last year working for the GMB trade union which is very rewarding helping workers get better terms and conditions at work and to be treated with fairness dignity and respect.