Thursday 8 August 2019

Annual Report 2018-19 Cllr Shabir Pandor

Last municipal year was the first year of my leadership. I became the Leader of the Council in May 2019. I have really enjoyed working with all political parties and took the lead on many challenging issues. Despite having a majority administration after almost 19 years I still value and place great emphasis on cross party and collaborative working. I feel that Kirklees has developed something very unique in the 19 years when there was no overall majority from any party. I have represented the council on international, national and regional events and meetings and have attended numerous committees & joint working groups.

Throughout the year I have attended Full Council meetings, Cabinet, Personnel Committee, Standards Committee, District Committee, Health and Wellbeing Board, Batley Advisory Board, Labour Group, Branch and Constituency Meetings.

I would also like to pay tribute to Marielle O’Neill who decided to stand down as a councillor representing Batley West ward. For the last 4 years Marielle worked diligently and represented everyone in the ward. I wish Marielle all the best in her new role and no doubt many people in Batley West will miss her.

Activity and Ward Work.

I have continued to represent my constituents at a ward level. The issues that I deal with range from individual housing related issues, planning applications, environmental issues, police & community safety and issues that may affect a group of residents on a collective basis.

Despite being the Leader of Kirklees I still consider ward work to be the bread and butter of being a councillor. That is where I consider the greatest rewards in helping others comes from.

One of the initiatives I have developed is placed based working within localities. This is early days for this new initiative but the key will be working with the community and voluntary sector and working in partnership with statutory organisations to deliver the outcomes that make a difference to people’s lives.

I have continued to work with the many wonderful and hardworking organisations in Batley. These include: - Local schools/children’s centres - Community Centres & Faith organisations - Churches and Mosques - Neighbourhood Watch groups - Cricket Clubs - Community Organisations & Local Charities working globally.

Working outside Kirklees.

As Leader of one of the Largest Metropolitan Authorities in the country we need to play our part in feeding into national and regional policy agenda. This is part and parcel of being an effective leader with a view to raising the profile of Kirklees. If I did not embrace this part of my role I would fail the residents of Kirklees in my Leadership role. This part of my role has been very demanding and challenged me to move out of my comfort zone and has developed my confidence, interpersonal skills, negotiation, and collaborative working even more. I have played an active role in international, national and regional event s and meetings.

Training and Development.

The Labour Group has embarked on development programme to enable councillors to become more effective and involved. Last year a number of councillors have taken the opportunity to take part in the Local Government Association Leadership Academy courses. As Leader of Kirklees Council I am committed to Kirklees Council and its ambition to become one of the best local authorities in the country.

One of the ways we can achieve this is through providing first class training and development opportunities for members and officers alike.

I have initiated a programme of development for cabinet which includes joint development opportunities with the Executive Management Team.

Ward Surgeries

The Batley West councillors agreed that we will have surgeries at the request of our constituents where they can phone us directly and arrange a home visit. We did this as we have found this is far more effective.

In recent months we have begun to develop street surgeries with the police in local communities. These are proving to be very successful.

Our residents can contact us by clicking on the following link:


Finally I would like to thank my fellow ward councillors Gwen Lowe and Yusra Hussain for being brilliant ward colleagues and Tracy Brabin MP for Batley and Spen with whom I have worked since her election, my Labour Party comrades, to all councillors who represent the diverse communities of the borough of Kirklees and to all the Council’s Staff who are doing an excellent job in difficult times.