Monday 12 August 2019

Annual Report 2018-19 Cllr Masood Ahmed, Dewsbury South











Once again I have the great pleasure of submitting my annual report. This is my second year as the Cabinet Lead for 

Learning and Aspiration. I developed so many new skills,
networks and relationships at a local, regional and                                






national level.
In my role on the Cabinet, I have continued to work very closely with key agencies including schools, Community Groups, Council Officers, professionals   and the general public at large. In my role as one of the Executive members leading on Learning and Aspiration.
I will as usual, give you a flavour and overview
of what I have been doing in the last year. One year on from the last Annual Report,
like many before, we have had to start over with many projects and work activities. This Annual Report will highlight some of the
extraordinary work I have been involved in. It showcases the different facets of our day to day work alongside the work we do over and above our duties.

The aim of being the Cabinet Lead for Learning and Aspiration was to maintain service provision and confidence, while at the same time  managing people's expectations for an overall deficit budget for the council due to national, regional and local funding cuts.

The purpose and function of my role in cabinet is to:
  • Deliver the statutory requirements of the Kirklees Council's Schools
  • Children have the best start in life
  • People in Kirklees have aspiration and achieve their ambition through education, training, employment and lifelong learning.
  • Agree priorities and actions for children's services across Kirklees ensuring safeguarding underpins all activity  and to provide a framework for the effective operation of local arrangements
  • Set the strategic direction for the development of integrated commissioning of services for children and young people in the Children and Young People Plan.
  • Monitor and evaluate performance against the agreed priorities and to ensure that actions are taken where outcomes are not improving.
  • Build and sustain effective partnerships with and between all sectors providing services to children and young people in order to focus resources jointly on improving outcomes for them.
  • Improve strategic co-ordination between boards and strategies.
Participation to Outside Bodies included:
  • Walker and Greenwood Educational Charity
  • West Yorkshire Adoption Joint Committee - One Adoption appropriately
  • Dewsbury Endowed Schools Foundation Trust Advisory Committee
  • Kirklees Schools Services Ltd
  • Thornhill Poor's Estate Charity
Participation to Kirklees Council Meeting include:
  1. Full Council
  2. Cabinet Meeting
  3. Neighbourhood Management Committee
  4. Kirklees Children  and Young People's Partnership Board
  5. Corporate Parenting Board
  6. Children Scrutiny Panel
Ward Work
In my ward I have continued to work with local groups   and I 
have supported them where needed. Doing ward work is the 
fundamental part of being a local councillor where communities
rely on their councillors to respond to their concerns and feedback outcomes based on actions. 
This year was no different; I have carried out ward work on behalf of my constituents around highways, anti-social behaviour
housing, welfare benefits, neighbour nuisance  and other matters.

Along with my fellow ward councillors I was delighted that we managed to bring various funds to Dewsbury South.
"It's up to you funding" looking at individuals and community groups to apply for small pots of funding to make a lasting change, and these very people making decision on whether or not the applications should be successful.

Dentaid: The project has been generously funded by local councillors, which awarded Dentaid a £7060 grant. I had various constituents that approached me in Dewsbury South and they had developed dental problems while they were on a dentist's waiting list and others were vulnerable people who found it hard to access regular dental treatment. Dentaid hopes that by bringing the mobile dental unit to schools and community centres in Dewsbury, the team will be able to provide dental care in an environment where people feel safe and comfortable. I am delighted that this project has bene to my ward particularly at Pentland Infants School and Thornhill Lees Community Centre. As a ward councillor I recognise that good dental health is essential to the wellbeing of our local people. I know that not everyone is registered with a dentist and that some people find it difficult to pay for dental care. By supporting this  project, I can ensure that the most vulnerable people in our communities can access support to relieve pain and prevent future problems occurring.


Environment Project: I was part of a twinned councillor lead project that successfully secured over £20,000 to carry out a locally based environment Scheme for the Dewsbury South Ward.

The Environment project is to target the littering and fly tipping hotspots in the ward and liaise with residents, Statutory Services, business and Schools to reduce the amount of fly tipping in the area. Fly tipping/ littering issue for Dewsbury South area is so widespread I get around 10-15 communications a week.

I have been on a number of litter picks to address the issue and we are looking at introducing the worker to key members of the community. Officers had been to hotspots where business had been affected, e.g. Mill East Street where serious litter offenders, dumping seems to happen overnight. They were working closely with the business to rectify this. Another major issue of fly tipping  and dumping has been around the Rectory park in the Thornhill area where I asked officers to liaise with residents, community groups, Tenants and Residents Associations to broker a relationship with the council services to identify ways of tackling this issue. This is a priority for my area, the amount of residents and businesses that have a knock-on effect through littering  and the ignorance of a few. I am determined to tackle this issue to make sure Dewsbury south a cleaner healthier place.

Study Skills for the South: The programme is designed to support primary school achievement in Dewsbury South particularly for students who are not confident of achieving their expected grades and who, with additional support may exceed those grades.
Experience for both schools indicates that taking exams
and tests can be stressful for students and such stress is
especially difficult  for those who do not have a good
grounding in basic Literacy  and Numeracy.
Clubs run by experienced teachers will increase
student confidence and improve their mastery
of both Literacy  and Numeracy, essential for future
work in Secondary School. Research from Sutton Trust
suggests a range of strategies which can materially improve attainment. Funding has been provided for the primary schools year 6 study clubs. This also gives them a greater confidence and really boosts their self esteem. 
The clubs have improved:
  • Raised attainment in Literacy and Numeracy
  • Improved student's performance  in SATS tests
  • Supported transition to high school
Study support Overthorpe Academy 10-15 Year 6 students who are not confidently achieving their expected grades will be the target group. Headfield Junior School 10-15 Year 6 students who are not confidently achieving their expected grades will be the target group.

Training and Development.
As a ward councillor and cabinet member, training and development is a continuing process. I have met officers who spent time discussing and enabling me to have the accurate information relating to the tasks required for the above meetings. I will continue to seek out training courses and seminars which I feel is relevant and beneficial to my role.

Acknowledgements
In writing this report I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincerest appreciation for the support received in these past and previous years. I have already mentioned the fantastic working relationship developed with my fellow ward Councillor colleagues Cllr Nosheen Dad and Cllr Gulfam Asif. I wish to extend my thanks and appreciation to Cllr Shabir Pandor (Leader), the wider Labour Group and our MP Paula Sherriff, for all their continuous support  and encouragement. I would also mention the various council officers who have worked tirelessly in such difficult times and who continue to offer Councillor Support.
Finally I would like to thank all the Dewsbury South Residents, who continue to share their concerns with me. I look forward to serving you over the coming years.