Monday 3 December 2018

Annual Report 2017-2018: Cllr Mahmood Akhtar


It is an immense pleasure for me to submit this latest annual report, since being successfully re-elected as ward councillor for Batley-East in May 2018.

As usual, I have felt honoured to take on different types of front-line casework related enquiries for local ward residents. The casework has been wide ranging – and covered dealing with resident’s problems around housing, traffic congestion issues, pavement repairs, litter problems – including fly-tipping, overgrown hedges, planning applications, as well as much more.

I have relished visiting my local ward residents, or dealing with their enquiries by email as well as by telephone. For me, it is all to do with trying my best to help improve people’s quality of life during what are some difficult and challenging economic times for many neighbourhoods.

My work also continues on a strategic level (working closely alongside my two ward colleagues) by communicating with other agencies to help reduce crime, and to promote Community Safety on our streets.

I always set aside time from my busy diary to attend any local events which can help strengthen Community Cohesion in our local area.

Finally, I would also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who again put their trust in me during this year’s local elections, and decided that I should continue to serve them for another term.

Surgeries …and contact initiatives
I hold a regular councillor’s surgery every second week of the month at the Jo Cox House in Batley town centre.

I also take part in street walkabouts throughout Batley-East to see what are the problems faced by residents.

Our Challenges
Kirklees Council (like many local authorities) has been affected by the severe cutbacks in central government funding. This situation has forced Kirklees Council to try and look at making savings whilst keeping services intact. The reality is that it is not an easy situation – and local people like those in Batley-East are the ones who are suffering when they – for example – see a lack of visible uniform police presence in their neighbourhoods. The suffering is even great when homes get broken into – and Kirklees Council is left aware there are not even funds for local councillors to use in order to support Community Safety projects.

Training & Development
·         Planning Training (update)
·         Licensing Training

Community Meetings
I attend all the Council Meetings in my role as ward councillor for Batley-East. In addition, I am also a member of the Heavy Woollen Planning Sub-Committee, and the Licensing & Safety Committee. I also take part in the Kirklees Labour Group meetings.