Thursday 10 August 2017

Annual Report 2016-2017: Cllr Rob Walker


What have I achieved this year, on behalf of the Ward and communities I represent?
My first year as a councillor has been a great privileged in being able to represent my local community. This is something I have wanted to do for many years.

I have spent a good deal of time in listening to local people and professionals who are campaigning to protect our NHS services. This has led to involvement in working with campaign groups focusing on threats to HRI, local surgeries and the West Yorkshire Ambulance Service.

I have been involved in a lot of work planning related work regarding residents who are concerned by two major building projects in Linthwaite where I live.  Both have involved a massive amount of earthworks which has caused a great deal of concern to people in the area.  Living right next to one of these sites has been instructive!

I have worked with Marsden Community Trust and Slaithwaite Civic Trust to support community asset transfer.  I am very interested in their future roles as community assets.

I have supported Friends of Marsden Park and Friends of Slaithwaite Spa. Currently I am working to set up a Friends Of group for a large Linthwaite recreation space.  I am also involved in getting local groups such as Colne valley Tree Society and the Scouts involved in tree planting projects linked to landscaping around the new housing projects.  On a larger scale I have become Chair of the new Upper Colne and Holme valley Natural Flood Management Group.  This will hopefully manage a major project in the area starting later this year.

I have long been concerned by disability access issues.  I have been pleased to be able to support local disabled people in setting up a new group that managed to secure funding for significant pavement improvements in Marsden.  I have also started work on supporting disabled housing and countryside access initiatives.

I have met all school heads and become part of the Colne Valley Schools HUB group. 

I have become Chair of the local rail users group, SMART, and helped them link with WYCA.

What will be the challenges be for me and the communities I represent this year?
Protecting and protesting on behalf of the many people whose living standards have been hit by the £12 Billion in cuts to the benefits of the less affluent members of our society.  Working for decent jobs and worker’s rights at a time when money wages not just real wages have fallen in the constituency.  Growing inequality is ever more apparent and damaging.

Continuing to support NHS related campaigns as further cuts and lack of investment starts to destroy services.  I am heartened by the local campaigns in which I feel residents in my ward have played a leading role.  Linked to this is the equally important crisis in social care.
 
Building closer campaigning links with community groups and trade unions.
Helping to re-launch the Colne Valley Business Network. Help to show labour is strongly pro-business when this benefits the wider community
Securing the funding and agreement at regional level for the NFM project which will potentially bring in a massive investment in the future of our local environment and help protect communities over a wide area in Yorkshire.
Helping to build sustainable groups in the community where I can become less critical.
Continue to support campaigns for better public transport.
Continue to support council policies and local groups concerned with climate change and air pollution issues.  This is closely linked to transport issues.
Help protect and improve education in my ward and beyond at a time of cuts and ill thought through national policy changes.
Do a good job as Chair of Economy and Neighbourhoods scrutiny panel.
 
Working with local community groups and organisations
  • Slaithwaite SOS Campaign
  • Slaithwaite Civic Trust
  • Marsden Community Trust and Community Association
  • Friends on Marsden and Slaithwaite Spa Parks.
  • Ale Trail Group
  • SMART –Rail Users Group
  • Marsden and Slaithwaite Christmas Lights Groups
  • Environment Kirklees Council
  • Radical Valleys – radical local history group
Attendance at Council Meetings and Committees
  • Full Council and Kirklees Rural District Committee
  • Chair Policy Committee
  • Huddersfield Planning Committee
  • Tackling Poverty Group
  • Asset Management Transfer Group
  • Kirklees and West Yorkshire level NFM meetings.
  • Colne Valley Schools’ HUBS Group
Attendance on outside bodies
  • YPO
  • C&K Careers
  • Kirklees Historic Buildings
  • Royds Hall School Governor
Training or learning I have undertaken
  • Induction training
  • Planning Training
  • Labour Group training
  • Coaching Course
  • Various LGA sessions
  • Labour national and regional conferences
  • Various school governor courses/conferences
  • Various transport and economic development conferences
  • Visits to most mosques in the constituency
  • Meeting community leaders