Tuesday 5 July 2016

Cllr Mohammad Sarwar: Annual Report 2015-2016

I would like first of all to mention Cllr Molly Walton, who has retired this year. It has been an honour to work with Molly since I was elected in 1999, and she will be missed in the community and on council. I wish her all the best in her retirement.

During the 2015/16 year, I have served on the following committees:
  • Labour Group
  • Full Council
  • Huddersfield District Committee
  • Huddersfield Planning Sub-Committee
Whilst my two ward colleagues receive numerous queries from our Asian population, I tend to get the most – particularly from the older residents who often find it easier to communicate in our common language. I also assist my ward colleagues in dealing with casework where language may be an issue.

I run a small business which many locals use as an office as a way of contacting me, and I have a room set aside in my shop for this purpose. Many residents bring planning applications, passport or taxi license applications for me to assist with which I am happy to do.

Other issues I have been called upon to help with this year include:
  • Domestic disputes
  • Road repairs and potholes
  • Housing issues
  • Fly tipping
  • Street lighting
  • Cleanliness of local parks
  • Bus services
  • Dog fouling
  • School appeals
  • Benefit queries
  • Parking issues
  • Visa applications and immigration issues
Local councils are under a lot of pressure at the moment with severe cuts by central government to much of our budget, and we are seeing lots of problems get worse – from roads which don’t get repaired as quickly, to increases in poverty and deprivation. But Labour is committed to helping vulnerable people wherever we can and we will always put residents’ needs first.