Tuesday 5 July 2016

Cllr Erin Hill: Annual Report 2015-2016

I am now at the beginning of my third year as a councillor, and the learning curve continues!

Before I talk about my own work, however, I would like to pay tribute to my ward colleague, Cllr Molly Walton, who retired in May this year.

I have known Molly since joining the Labour Party when I was fifteen. She has given me immeasurable support since becoming a councillor, but was also one of the main people in the party who first encouraged my interest in politics and supported me. She was phenomenally hard working, politically astute, but more importantly she was kind to people who needed help and had nowhere else to turn. 

Everyone in the community knows her and speaks highly of her, and the fact that she has received such heartfelt tributes - from colleagues across the political spectrum - is a credit to her. I know she plans to continue involvement in community work, but she will be greatly missed in Kirklees Labour Group and beyond.

I am pleased however that we returned Cllr Manisha Kaushik in the May elections to take over from Molly - she was a hardworking candidate and I’m sure she will make a good councillor.

It’s not an easy time for local government at the moment, but I hope that over the last year I have done my part to support residents, groups, communities and the council to get through this difficult period.

My casework continues to be very varied: the typical missed bin collections and dog fouling right through to domestic violence, mental health issues, harassment and other personal issues.

I support as many local groups as I can, and am looking forward to working with volunteers locally for another year. There are some fantastic innovations in the pipeline so all I can say is watch this space.

There have been difficult times for Crosland Moor and Netherton this year. The news that a suicide bomber in Iraq was reportedly from our area shocked the community. We also experienced two knife-related incidents within a short space of time. I want to work closely with local people to make sure that our community is safe, that victims are supported, but also to ensure that we work to prevent people from turning to crime.

From a council perspective, I have enjoyed the last year on Cabinet with responsibility for Family Support and Child Protection. It has not been without its challenges, but we have achieved some great things too and I would like to pay tribute to the strong leadership shown by Cllr David Sheard, who has taken the council through some of the most difficult times in its history.

I am looking forward to another year on council - there will be some tough decisions to make, but we have a responsibility to the people who elect us to steer Kirklees through a very difficult budget.