Thursday 21 July 2016

Cllr Gwen Lowe: Annual Report 2015-2016

“Knock knock? Who’s there? Armageddon. Armageddon who? Armageddon out of here! And that’s how I’ve been feeling for many weeks now……..If I had sat down to put pen to paper – or in this day and technical age – fingers to keyboard, to do my Annual Report before June 16th my mood would’ve been so much more positive. But due to the sad tragic loss of our inspirational M.P. Jo Cox I’m struggling to feel positive. There are times when the world doesn’t make sense; this is one of those times. Not a day seems to go by without another tragedy somewhere in the world. Why are people doing these horrible things to each and to our world? K With these changing national and international events – however difficult they are – we have to hope that somewhere, somehow there are opportunities for positive change if we look for them…

The time is nigh though once again for my Annual Report. Being first elected in 2006, re-elected 2010, then re-elected again 2014, this is my 10th one! Hopefully this will give you a flavour of what I’ve been doing over what has been an unbelievably very busy but, as always, rewarding last 12 months. The highlight of being a Councillor is that you get to work with such wonderful folk, both residents and council officers alike. The role of being a Councillor/Counsellor often mergers.

99% of my diary seems to be taken over by meetings! Throughout the year I attended Full Council, Labour Group (continuing as Chair) and our Batley West Branch and Constituency Meetings. 

I continued on the Appeals Panel and with the Combined Authority as a Council representative on the Kirklees District Consultation Sub-Committee. Other Committees I have had the pleasure of working with this year have been Kirklees Church Partnership Trust, Batley Old People's Welfare Committee, Batley Girls(Rae, Taylor, Hirst and Talbot) School Leavers Scholarship Fund and Batley Cricket, Athletic and Football Club (which includes Batley Bulldogs who I’ve supported since being a teenager)

Chair of Batley Neighbourhood Management Group – Having been the Chair since its origin this remains my favourite role. I sadly had to say goodbye and thank you to Zak Lunat, Community Safety Officer for his dedicated professional support over the years. Through excellent partnership working with the council services (e.g. StreetScene, Young Peoples Services), KHN, police and fire authority, Lifeline, we tackle varying degrees of anti-social behaviour and environmental issues. Over the last year we have achieved so much to make our communities safer, cleaner and greener.

“The public rightly expects to live in neighbourhoods free from the corrosive effects of intimidation and harassment. I want to see both police and local authorities using the powers they have been given in a way that is effective and responds to peoples’ needs at the right time.” Rt. Hon Alan Johnson MP

 
Chair of Batley & Spen District Committee – having been the Chair of the Batley & Birstall Area Committee for many years I was very honoured to be given the Chair of this committee (having had one year off for good behaviour!) which is very different and a lot more hard work. Here we want to work with communities to identify and build on the skills and resources that that exist and to collaborate to help strengthen our communities, maximise resources and get the best outcomes for all. The highlight was our March meeting where many of the groups that had received funding gave us a presentation of their wonderful projects, a truly wonderful inspiring evening.

I’ve again continued to work extremely hard as I thoroughly enjoy my Ward Work
which is naturally plentiful, varied and rewarding, to serve the wonderful people of
Batley West.  I still do it “my way” which is by having “focused on site meetings”
because it works so well. But sadly due to the continued harsh and unforgiving cuts by
 this Tory Government we are sadly losing amazing Officers so the Officers we now
have are overstretched and underpaid.  Most of you know that instead of attending the
 (too) many meetings which as a councillor we must, I’d much rather be out there with
you with my sleeves rolled up getting my hands dirty……which includes…..
 
ü  DOG FOULING – still at the top of the problem list, I WILL continue campaigning to put an end to Dog Fouling!  I’m still referred to as the “Dog Poo Lady!” 
ü  Anti-Social Behaviour/Community Safety
ü  Poor state of roads, especially potholes, blocked drains, grit bins
ü   Fly tipping and litter, overgrown trees and vegetation
ü  Problems with parks and play areas
ü  Housing issues – repairs and rehousing
ü  Planning issues – lobbied by both supporters and objectors
ü  Protect services at Dewsbury District Hospital

I could go on and on and on….you’d be amazed by some of the issues you are asked to
 deal with as a councillor! It’s rewarding to get feedback from local residents letting
me know that there has been an improvement.

It’s rewarding to work closely with Kirklees Neighbourhood Housing accompanying
officers on walkabouts/estate inspections, helping and supporting residents to make
their area safer and cleaner. It’d be nice if more residents joined us……

In 2007 I founded The Friends of Staincliffe Park, the park I played in as a little girl, I’m still very involved as a committee member and along with the bowlers, we keep the park safe, clean and a place to be enjoyed and respected.  In December 2015 we again arranged for our park to have a real Christmas tree and we were honoured when the Batley Bulldogs Girls Team did their first official Christmas lights switch on! Despite the rain we were astounded when again over 200 local people turned up. It’s great to see Community events like this organised by local folk.                                          

I continue to be inspired by those involved with the Plant It Grow It Eat It project in Manor Way and continue to support them to secure funding for this amazing community project. 

The opening of Food Banks is a sad sign of the times. I work with and support Batley Food Bank as I’m very proud of the work they do to help families in crisis. Sadly their footfall increases weekly……

MY main achievement over the last 12 months continues from strength to strength to be F.O.B.S. – The Friends of Batley Railway Station, which I formed 18 months ago now. The station had been neglected by Northern Rail and Network Rail for many years and when a V.I.P. I was greeting there said it was a depressing station, it was time for someone to take action and that someone was ME! Our F.O.B.S. mission is to “To promote practical environmental enhancement works to our station for the benefit of our community and train passengers.” The improvements we have made are incredible please so go take a look.  It’s amazing what a bit of my nagging can do! Plus we were successful in a bid to PPG who did some fantastic painting for us including an amazing mural – but as this just falls into 2016-2017 I’ll share more with you in that annual report.

I really enjoy meeting and working with you wonderful people and again have many
happy memories of times spent with Local Community Groups and Organisation, and
also with individuals, just to name a few……

Andrew Marsden & Batley Business Association
P.K.W.A.
      I.M.W.S.

Staincliffe Church & Staincliffe Junior School
      Batley Bulldogs RLFC

      Batley Central Methodist Church Annual Daffodil Rally

Denham Court (supporting complete refurbishment)
     Local schools/children’s centres

Mr & Mrs S.
Mr G
Working with Niall and the Millpond Support Group, a fine example of where I got
everything dirty!

As a member of The Council Commissioning Group we discuss a new look to how Councillors and Officers can improve their working relationship; how we can better support local people, and manage growing demand for services by focussing on early intervention and prevention. As Councillors we are already holding important workshops including ways in which digital approaches can support Councillors in their community leadership role – as someone who is a bit of a dinosaur who doesn’t use Facebook, tweet or twitter this I may struggle with. I prefer face to face chat and blame modern technology for those who find it difficult to talk with others. But as we enter a new era of uncertainty of the “New Council” we will all have to adapt to a new way of thinking and working to get us through what will be the hardest period of my councillor life………but there must be a pot of gold at the end of this insipid rainbow?  What will be the challenges be for me and the communities I represent over the next twelve months? My family and I too will be affected by difficult changes. I also continue to take advantage of the Training and Development Programme and attend any refresher sessions available.

And if you thinking about applying to be a councillor here’s a tip – Inform your family and friends about your new role, ask for their support and sympathy…..then cancel the rest of your life!!

Please can I finish with several big THANK YOUs - to my wonderful husband Ken and family, Labour Group Support Staff especially Jane (to whom I still owe an egg custard.) Last year at this point I was wishing Mike Wood MP all the best for his retirement and looking forward to many years working with our new MP, Jo Cox. But sadly that’s not to be. I’d like to share with you a piece from The Guardian shortly after Jo’s death……

Visitors alighting from trains pulling in at Batley gain a vivid impression of the Yorkshire town even before they leave its station.

A sprawling, colourful mural in its underpass depicts the area’s most celebrated buildings and locations: the headquarters of Fox’s Biscuits and Johnstone’s Paints vie for wall space with the Batley Bulldogs rugby league team; a union jack flutters from the town hall next to the war memorial. At one end of the mural is a church, at the other a mosque.

The painting tells of a once thriving mill town that has borne witness to great social change, but still retains a Victorian sense of civic pride in its local institutions and local heroes.

Jo Cox was always destined to become one of those heroes.”                           
The Guardian June 18th 2016

                       

Thanks for taking time to read my Annual Report 2015-2016

Gwen J