Monday 18 July 2016

Cllr Naheed Mather: Annual Report 2015-2016

I completed my first term as a councillor for Dalton, it was both rewarding and challenging and I was delighted to have been elected to serve a second term.  Currently, Local Government is haemorrhaging under the strain of the cuts imposed by national government resulting in our council, no longer being able to provide the range of services it used to do. However, despite the cuts, I have worked hard to represent your views in various council meetings, committees and at full council.

I have been active within the local community and have attended many meetings and community events with my ward colleagues, Cllr Peter McBride and Cllr Musarrat Khan and undertaken casework and made myself available for residents to get in touch with me.

As chair of Huddersfield District Committee, I was able to lead on a range of policy issues within the Council. Through the District Committee, we funded young people's activities, dementia awareness across the district and contributed ideas towards the future of Huddersfield town centre regeneration. I feel especially proud to have spear headed the setting up of our districts apprenticeship scheme, it will benefit 14 local young people to secure training in skills shortage areas with SME’s over a two year period, starting this autumn.  I also chaired the Policy Committee’s Task and Finish Group on Sustainable Communities which was an enjoyable experience and chaired on bi-partisan group.

Your local Dalton Labour councillors, campaign all year round and are out and about on your doorstep every Saturday. Alongside my ward colleagues I have undertaken casework on a wide range of issues such as housing, anti-social behaviour, potholes, fly tipping to mention a few. I continue to attend tenants and residents groups, listening to local issues, problems of waste and rubbish management and including investment needs. Dalton ward has benefitted from partnership working alongside the community and the council has managed to carry out extensive positive work including road repairs and resurfacing. We also supported local individuals and groups through, ‘it’s up to you’ funding which secured the existence of many groups with small amount of money.

I have represented the council on the following outside bodies: West Yorkshire Pension Fund, Wakefield and Kirklees Joint Health Overview Scrutiny Committee, Huddersfield and Calderdale NHS Foundation Trust, Huddersfield Partnership.

Nationally, the government has continued to reduce funding to Kirklees Council and the annual grant cut to the council will continue over the next few years. And Council services we have all been used to, will change and the Council will no longer deliver all of the services in the same way.  This year more than ever the Council and its communities will need to work together to continue to improve our ward and our district.

As your councillor, I have worked towards promoting social justice and equality, improving community cohesion. I continue to undertake training opportunities to further develop my skills and expertise in order to represent the people of Dalton to the best of my ability.

I feel very privileged to have been appointed as a portfolio holder for Housing and in Enforcement in the current cabinet.