Thursday 21 July 2016

Cllr Mahmood Akhtar: Annual Report 2015-2016

Once again this has been a busy year. Firstly I would like to thank Cllr Hanif Mayet, who stepped down this year, for all his hard work in helping the local community. It was an honour to work with him and I wish him all the best. Cllr Fazila Fadia has now joined our team in the Batley East Ward; she is also very passionate about local issues.  I look forward to working with Cllr Fadia and Cllr Stubley to carry help resolve matters affecting local residents.

Participation at Council Meeting Committees
I have attended all full Council meetings and most Labour Group meetings. This year, I am a member of the following Council Committees and Panels:
  • Licensing and Safety
  • District Committee
  • Planning Sub - Committee (Heavy Woollen Area)
  • The Labour Group Substitutes Panel
Participation on Outside Bodies
I continue membership of the following outside bodies:
  • Pakistan Muslim Welfare Society (Batley)
Ward Work
Work within the ward and local area takes up most of my time as Councillor and also continues to be the most important part of my role. I listen to residents’ concerns and try my best, alongside my ward colleagues to help with their problems.

The following issues have been priority this year:
  • Ongoing concerns over New Housing Development and re-housing problems
  • Fly Tipping
  • Domestic/Neighbour Disputes
  • Pot holes and road repairs / Streetscene
  • Immigration applications
  • Queries relating to benefits
  • School appeals
I continue to help and listen to residents who have complained about traffic issues and street parking problems. Street lighting, overgrown trees/shrubbery and refuse collection have also continued to be ward issues affecting local people, which I have reported and helped to resolve.

Once again, I feel very appreciative that I have had the opportunity to help my constituents to the best of my ability and hope to continue to serve my local communities for as long as I can.

Training and Development
I have tried to keep up to date with developments and training that has taken place this year for ward councillors, in order to help me do more for the community and carry out my duties.