Monday 29 January 2018

Annual Report 2016-2017: Cllr Fazila Loonat

It has been a privilege to have been elected in May 2016 to represent the Batley East Ward in Kirklees taking the position from my predecessor Hanif Mayet.

I have sat on the following Council committees and outside bodies:
  • Health and social care scrutiny
  • Children’s scrutiny
  • Cooperate Parenting
  • CSE & Safeguarding
  • National association of British market authority
  • West Yorkshire Pension Fund Joint advisory board
Training attended:
  • Licensing and Safety
  • LGA on Leadership / new demands
  • Planning Committee Early intervention and Prevention
  • Suicide awareness
  • CSE
  • Dementia Friends
  • Member development
  • Various new council trainings
I was also on the Labour Group sub panel and did the training so I able to substitute on various panels.

As a Councillor I contribute in the Council to the development of policies, strategies, as well as the budget however I do think my work in the community and understanding its needs is what makes my job role a lot effective.

I have attended several community events through the year and regularly attend local community meetings and tenants and residents association meetings. I also hold very busy advice surgeries.

My casework load has come through via face to face communications, emails, telephone calls and social media engagements are mainly issues are for but not limited to:
  • Concerns over new housing development
  • Rehousing and housing waiting list  
  • Pot holes
  • Street lighting
  • Benefit queries especially PIP
  • Anti-Social behaviour / crime
  • Fly tipping and overgrowth
  • Financial difficulties and referral to food banks
The council has been faced with drastic cuts from the Central Government which has definitely had an impact on my ward but I will continue to work hard for my constituents in order to get a better place to live and work.

You can also find me on Facebook : Fazila Loonat
Or Twitter: FazilaLoonat_