Monday 29 January 2018

Annual Report 2016-2017: Cllr Amanda Pinnock

I am pleased to report that 2016-2017 was an eventful and auspicious year filled with a combination of casework, committees, meetings and networking opportunities.

My Ward house some of the most deprived areas in the country with constituents being affected by austerity, poor housing, welfare benefit cuts, relationship and family breakdowns, education and other social issues. In my role as a Councillor I was able to provide support and advice where possible and to signpost to suitable organisations where necessary.  

I also tackled issues pertaining to private development in the area, aiming to ensure that resident’s concerns are balanced with the need for housing and development in the area.  

Flytipping was another bone of contention in the Ward which I am pleased to announce has reduced significantly.  

During this period I sat on a number of committees including Licensing which is a quasi-judicious role dealing with various types of licenses within Kirklees and the Ad hoc scrutiny panel created in the wake of OFSED’s report on Children’s Services. 

I have been involved in various campaigns from the Handsoff HRI rallies leading up to the general election and EU referendum.

I have been actively involved in our Ashbrow social enterprise called Local Services 2 You as a Director on the board. This is an important role as the organisation sits in the heart of community and delivers a range of local services and facilities for the benefit of residents in the Ashbrow ward of Huddersfield.

These include the Chestnut Centre, Ingfield Enterprise Centre, the Chestnut Nursery, Top Club and the Deighton Carnival. It is a fairly unique organisation that aims to generate social impact and making a difference to the lives of the people who live and work in the communities.

During the year, aside from attending vital Council meetings, my colleagues and I hold monthly meetings with residents in Ashbrow to discuss community matters such crime and neighbour nuisance, area development, local and national issues etc. 

Throughout 2016 I have invested my time in supporting many and varied community groups. I was most proud to honour volunteer groups at an Ashbrow awards ceremony. 

I am proud to support the Huddersfield and Deighton Carnival, Conscious Youth and BACC all with diverse cultural roots in the community to name a few. I have also supported various community ventures such as the X-Service Support organisation that aims to assist local veterans and their families settle into the community. 

Finally during 2016 I actively used social media including Twitter and Facebook to highlight, promote and raise awareness about current affairs such as housing, homelessness, welfare benefits and increased dependency on food banks within Kirklees. I also used social media to disseminate information about Labour Party values, initiatives and to encourage membership and votes, particularly non-voters.

I am contacted by my constituents on a regular basis through emails, social media, home visits or through engagement at community events I attend such as funeral, cultural evenings, open days and so on.  

My legal background and professional skills have enabled me to develop strong links with diverse communities within the district and my constituents have become accustomed to my reputation for keeping my finger on the pulse of what their issues/needs are.