Wednesday 30 August 2017

Annual Report 2016-2017: Cllr Nosheen Dad

My second year as a Councillor for the Dewsbury South Ward has been a lot busier than anticipated, but extremely rewarding and enjoyable at the same time.

My case work has seen an increase in issues ranging from, housing, anti-social behaviour, immigration, road safety, planning and licensing. 

As Chair for the Dewsbury and Mirfield District Committee I have enjoyed working alongside councillors and residents from across the district taking a lead on policy issues and the regeneration and future of our town centre. 

The mental health first aid training funded for by the Dewsbury and Mirfield District Committee has been a hit with community groups and individuals and has ensured we have trained mental health first aiders in our community to help signpost those in need appropriately.

Apart from this I have continued to attend Full Council, Labour Group meetings and remain on the Heavy Woollen Planning Committee and have contributed towards debates and discussion regularly. 

The Dewsbury South Ward has benefitted from partnership working alongside the community and the Council has managed to carry out extensive positive work including road repairs and resurfacing. We also supported local individuals and groups through, ‘You and Your Community’ funding which secured the existence of many groups with small amounts of money. 

This year we returned another full time Labour Councillor to the ward after Cllr Abdul Patel stepped down. I have enjoyed working with both Cllr Masood Ahmed and Cllr Gulfam Asif over the year ensuring the community’s needs are heard and met and look forward to continue working as a team. 

As your councillor, I have worked towards promoting social justice and equality, improving community cohesion. I will continue to undertake training opportunities to further develop my skills and expertise in order to represent the people of Dewsbury South to the best of my ability.

Going forward I will be chairing the Appeals Panel and look forward to getting started in my new role over the summer.