Wednesday 30 August 2017

Annual Report 2016-2017: Cllr Mohammad Sarwar

I am pleased to continue to serve the residents across the boundaries of Crosland Moor and Netherton Ward and meet individuals and groups in all areas from Lockwood, Thornton Lodge, Walpole, Beaumont Park, Balmoral, Park Road and Crosland Moor.
 
Last year when our most respectable and long serving councillor Molly Walton retired after 26 years serving the local community, my ward branch Labour Party selected Manisha Kaushik to stand for the Crosland Moor and Netherton Ward. I alongside my colleagues Cllr Erin Hill, Molly Walton and Labour Party members worked hard to make sure Manisha was successful in the election.
 
Cllr Manisha Kaushik won the local election with a big increased majority and carried on with good work done by Cllr Molly Walton.
 
Also this year, in the June 8th 2017 General Elections I have campaigned with my colleagues in the Colne Valley Constituency for our candidate Thelma Walker and helped her win the seat from the Tories.
 
I have dealt with numerous cases of individual enquiries such as immigration cases and writing letters of support. I have signed several passport applications and driving and license applications during this year.
 
I also assisted my Ward Colleagues in dealing with casework where language may be an issue.
 
I run a small business which many locals use as an office as a way of contacting me and I have a room set aside in my shop for this purpose. Many residents bring planning applications, passport or taxi license applications for me to assist with, which I am happy to do.
 
Other issues I have been called upon to help with this year include:
  • Domestic disputes
  • Road repairs – potholes
  • Housing issues
  • Fly tipping
  • Street cleaning - dog fouling
  • School admissions and appeals
  • Parking issues
  • Visa applications
Under the Central Government budget cuts we are facing challenges in our ward
  • School admissions are oversubscribed but we are lucky to get a new primary school at the fields of Moor End Academy College.
  • We are lacking leisure activities for young people in our Ward. I will work hard to get these facilities in our Ward.
Health and Wellbeing of Local communities
Due to high levels of diabetes and heart disease particularly within the Asian communities in Lockwood and Thornton Lodge there is a need to raise awareness and provide guidance and signposting to access health and wellbeing opportunities. 
 
Full Council and Committee Meetings
I have served and attended the following meetings:
  • Labour Group
  • Full Council
  • Huddersfield District Committee
  • Huddersfield Planning Sub Committee
Training and Learning Sessions
Planning Committee training