Tuesday 21 June 2016

Cllr Marielle O'Neill: Annual Report 2015-2016

Last May I was elected as a Labour and Co-operative councillor representing Batley West. My first year as a councillor has been both rewarding and challenging. Due to the Government’s cuts to local government, local government is changing and can no longer provide many of the services it once has. I have played a full role in full council meetings, speaking on such varied subjects as the proposed cuts to tax credits and mental health. I have championed transgender rights and improving equality and diversity within the Council.
 

I have been active within the local community and have attended many meetings and community events with my ward colleagues, Cllr Shabir Pandor and Cllr Gwen Lowe. I have undertaken much casework and am always available for constituents to get in touch with.


I have taken a lead on policy issues within the Council. I chaired the Policy Committee’s Task and Finish Group on Equality and Diversity. I enjoyed chairing this bi-partisan group. We were able to work well together, listening to experts and officers to update the Council’s policy framework on equality and diversity. I was proud to move a motion in full council on this in March 2016 and was delighted that it was unanimously approved.


In November 2015, with Cllr Sheikh Ullah, Cllr Viv Kendrick, Cllr Cathy Scott and Cllr Mus Khan I protested the Government’s proposed cuts to tax credits. I moved the motion on this in full council and my speech was covered in the local press.


A moving event I attended was the Transgender Vigil at Huddersfield Parish Church in November 2015 which marked the deaths of all the transgender people who had died this year and stressed the discrimination transgender people still face.


A highlight of my first year as a councillor was Batley Vintage Day in 2015 which showcases the community spirit within our town and is a great day for all the family.


Another highlight from my first year as a councillor was my in-depth interview on Radio IMWS in November, 2015 where I was grilled on many important local issues.


I am an active member of The Friends of Wilton Park to promote and protect this beautiful Victorian Park which is a jewel in Batley’s crown. I am committed to promoting healthy lifestyles within Kirklees.


Being passionate about Fairtrade, I became the Chair of Kirklees Fairtrade Forum which working with the Council, business and community organisations promotes Fairtrade across the borough through community and educational events.


Alongside my ward colleagues I have undertaken casework on a wide range of issues such as housing, anti-social behaviour and fly tipping. I urge people to get in touch with their local councillors if they have any issues they need help with.


Being on many committees and outside boards I have been able to develop a deep insight into how the council and local government works. In my first year as a councillor I sat on the Policy Committee, Licencing Committee, Heavy Woollen Planning Sub-Committee and the Batley and Spen District Committee.

The outside bodies I sat on were the West Yorkshire Combined Authority’s Overview and Scrutiny Committee, which was particularly interesting considering devolution is such a hot topic at the moment, the Yorkshire Purchasing Organisation, Calderdale and Kirklees Careers and the School Organisation Advisory Group.


The Labour councillors in Batley West campaign throughout the year as well as at election time and I played an active role in Cllr Shabir Pandor’s successful re-election campaign.

As someone who is committed to peace, in December 2015, I attended the anti-war demonstration in London to protest military action in Syria.


My priorities as a councillor are promoting social justice and equality, improving community cohesion, undertaking casework on behalf of constituents and attending community events, all of which I have been able to do successfully this year. I attend many local events and meetings each week in Batley. I will undertake training opportunities to further develop my skills and expertise. I hope to build on the work I have done this year and to continue to represent the people of Batley West to the best of my ability. I will remain a committed councillor who serves everyone in Batley West.