Tuesday 4 August 2015

Annual Report 2014-2015: Cllr Mohan Sokhal

I am very pleased to continue to serve the residents across the boundaries of Greenhead Ward and see people as individuals and as groups in all areas from Paddock, Marsh, Edgerton, Springwood, Birkby, Fartown, Hill House Lane, Cowcliffe and Norwood Estate. There are Tenants and Residents Associations in my Ward, which I try to attend meetings as many as I can. I attend Marsh Forum, Friends of Greenhead Park and Trinity and Greenhead Park Association.
 
I have dealt with numerous cases of individual enquiries such as immigration cases, writing letters of support. I have signed several passport Applications and driving Licence applications
 
During the year, I have alongside my Ward colleagues carried out Mobile Surgeries every Saturday morning.
 
I campaigned in Local and General Elections in May 2015 and supported two local Labour Councillors and Parliamentary Candidates win their elections.  
 
Achievements
 
We have introduced the double mini roundabout on Wheathouse Road with junction of Birkby Hall Road to improve the safety of local residents on this very congested part of Birkby. We have also resurfaced part of Thorn Hill Road in Marsh.
 
Marsh Playworld which I supported last year is proving a great success for young children and their parents.
 
We are facing some challenges in Greenhead Ward as follows: 
  • Lack of suitable and affordable housing provision
  • High rate crime
  • School Admissions are over subscribed
  • Lack of Leisure activities for young people
  • Pressure of migration of different nationalities particularly from Eastern Europeans in the Schools such different languages.
  • Health and Wellbeing of Local community—high levels of Diabetes/ heart deceases. Very high South Asian communities.  
Business Manager (Chief Whip)
 
I have been appointed Business Manager of Labour Group since year 2011 and again in 2015. My role in brief is to ensure that Labour Group members are aware of the Group policies and that Group members vote in accordance with the Group policies when required. Liaise between the Group Leadership and Group members, ensuring that comments and information are fed back from the members to the Leadership.
 
I have been monitoring the attendance levels of Labour members at Council or Committee meetings and their activities in the communities. 
 
I prepare the Whip’s reports for sitting Councillors who wish to stand again in Local Elections.
 
Attendance
 
Local Community Group and Organisations
 
I attended the Local communities Group and Organisations meetings such as Sikh Leisure Centre, Marsh Forum. Birkby and Fartown activities events, Children Centre Advisory Boards, Friends of Greenhead Park, Neighbourhood and Management Groups Town Centre. 
  • I attended monthly ward meetings with Council Officers.
  • Council Meetings and CommitteesFrom May 2014 to May 2015 I have attended all the Full Council Meetings and the following committees and sub committees or panels
  • Standards Committee and assessment Panels
  • Huddersfield Planning Sub Committees
  • Heavy Woollen Planning Sub Committees
  • Licensing and Safety Committee
  • Huddersfield District Committee
As a Sub I attended many corporate governance audit committee and strategic planning committee meetings.  
  • Outside Bodies
  • Birkby and Fartown Children Advisory Board MGH
  • Marsh Forum
  • Sacre meetings
  • West Yorkshire pension funds
  • Training or learning I have undertaken
  • Attended Planning Annual update Training
  • Attended Annual update Licensing and Safety committee Training
  • IT training
  • Child Exploitation Training Session