Monday 3 August 2015

Annual Report 2014-2015: Cllr Gwen Lowe

The time is nigh once again for my Annual Report. Being first elected in 2006, re-elected 2010, then re-elected again 2014, this is my 9th! Hopefully this will give you a flavour of what I’ve been doing over what has been an unbelievably very busy but, as always, rewarding last 12 months. The highlight of being a Councillor is that you get to work with such wonderful folk, both residents and council officers alike. The role of being a Councillor/Counsellor often mergers.
 
99% of my diary seems to be taken over by meetings! Throughout the year I attended Full Council, Labour Group (as Chair) and our Batley West Branch and Constituency Meetings.

I have attended our new Batley and Spen District Committee where we continue working with the Cabinet to develop the notion of devolution at a district level. I continued on the Appeals Panel and on the Combined Authority where I sat on the Transport Committee and Chair of the Kirklees District Consultation Sub-Committee. Other Committees I have had the pleasure of working with this year have been LOCALA (including their community funding panel), Kirklees Church Partnership Trust, Batley Old People's Welfare Committee, Batley Girls(Rae, Taylor, Hirst and Talbot) School Leavers Scholarship Fundand Batley Cricket, Athletic and Football Club (which includes Batley Bulldogs who I’ve supported since being a teenager)
Chair of Batley Neighbourhood Management Group – This is still definitely my favourite role. I have to include my thanks here to Zak Lunat, Community Safety Officer for his dedicated professional support. Through excellent partnership working with the council services (such as StreetScene, Young Peoples Services), KHN, police and fire authority, we tackle varying degrees of anti-social behaviour and environmental issues. Over the last year we have achieved so much to make our communities safer, cleaner and greener.
 
I’ve continued to work extremely hard and thoroughly enjoy my Ward Work which is naturally plentiful, varied and rewarding, to serve the wonderful people of Batley West. I still do it “my way” which is by having “focused on site meetings” because it works so well. Most of you know that instead attending the (too) many meetings which as a councillor we must, I’d much rather be out there with you with my sleeves rolled up getting my hands dirty……which includes
  • Anti-Social Behaviour/Community Safety
  • Poor state of roads, especially potholes, blocked drains, grit bins – plus we hold quarterly Highways Meetings  
  • Fly tipping and litter
  • Overgrown trees and vegetation
  • Problems with parks and play areas
  • Housing issues – repairs and rehousing
  • Planning issues – lobbied by both supporters and objectors
  • Protect services at Dewsbury District Hospital
I could go on and on and on….you’d be amazed by some of the issues you are asked to deal with as a councillor!
will continue campaigning to put an end to Dog Fouling!  I’m still referred to as the “Dog Poo Lady!”  It’s rewarding to get feedback from local residents letting me know that there has been an improvement. I continue my regular “Environmental Visual Audits” of my ward ensuring we have a clean, safe ward.
It’s rewarding to work closely with Kirklees Neighbourhood Housing accompanying officers on walkabouts/estate inspections, helping and supporting residents to make their area safer and cleaner. It’d be nice if more residents joined us……
Having founded The Friends of Staincliffe Park around 2007, the park I played in as a little girl, I’m still very involved as a committee member and along with the bowlers, we keep the park safe, clean and a place to be enjoyed and respected.  Our biggest achievement was December 2014 when we arranged for our park to have its first ever real Christmas tree and I was so very, very honoured when asked to do the official switch on of the Christmas lights! This was our first major event and we were astounded when over200 local people turned up, everyone asked that we make sure we do it again ……
I’m still inspired by those involved with the Plant It Grow It Eat It project in Manor Way and have supported them to secure funding for this amazing community project. Good growing soil for radishes!
The opening of Food Banks is a sad sign of the times but I work with and support Batley Food Bank as I’m very proud of the work they do to help families in crisis.
I have to confess that my main achievement over the last 8 months has been creating F.O.B.S. – The Friends of Batley Railway Station!  The station has been neglected by Northern Rail and Network Rail for many years and when a V.I.P. I was greeting there said what a grotty station we had, it seemed to me it’s time to take action.


F.O.B.S. “To promote practical environmental enhancement works to our station for the benefit of our community and train passengers.”

I really enjoy meeting and working with you wonderful people and again have many happy memories of times spent with Local Community Groups and Organisation, but also with individuals, just some of the many I could mention……
P.K.W.A.
I.M.W.S.
Civic Society
Staincliffe Church (including the Peace Garden) and Staincliffe Junior School
Batley Bulldogs RLFC
Batley Central Methodist Church Annual Daffodil Rally
Denham Court (supporting complete refurbishment)
Local schools/children’s centres
Mr and Mrs B
Mrs H
Surgeries (but please feel free to contact me anytime)

2nd Tuesday of month - 10.00 - 10.30 am
Indian Muslim Welfare Society
28 Track Road, Batley, WF17 7AA
 
2nd Tuesday of month - 10.35 - 11.05 am
PKWA
off Manor Way, Staincliffe, Batley, WF17 7BX
 
3rd Saturday of month - 10.15 - 10.45 am
St Johns the Evangelist
Ealand Road, Carlinghow, Batley, WF17 8HT
 
3rd Saturday of month - 11.00 - 11.30 am
Bleak House,
200 Ealand Road, Wilton, Batley, WF17 8JX
 
3rd Saturday of month - 11.45 am - 12.15 pm
St Saviour's Church,
Brookroyd Lane, Brownhill, Batley, WF17 0BU

I’ve been taking part in The Council Commissioning Group where we discuss a new look to how Councillors and Officers can improve their working relationships and provide the best outcomes during the next several difficult years. I continue to take advantage of the Training and Development Programme and attend any refresher sessions available; our Labour Group Seminar Days are very beneficial for this. But as we enter a new era of uncertainty of the “New Council” we will all have to adapt to a new way of thinking and working to get us through what will be the hardest period of my councillor life………but there must be a pot of gold at the end of this insipid rainbow? What will be the challenges be for me and the communities I represent over the next twelve months? My family and I too will be affected by difficult changes.

And if you thinking about applying to be a councillor here’s a tip – Inform your family and friends about your new role, ask for their support and sympathy…..then cancel the rest of your life!!

Please can I finish with several big THANK YOUs to my wonderful husband Ken and family, Labour Group Support Staff especially Jane (I.O.U. still an egg custard) and Shabir, Peter and Mike Wood M.P. and staff, I wish Mike all the best for his retirement and look forward to many years of as good a working relationship with our new MP, Jo Cox.

Thanks for taking time to read my Annual Report 2014-2015