Monday 15 June 2015

Annual Report 2014/2015: Cllr Darren O'Donovan

Firstly, having recently been re-elected for Dewsbury West Ward to Kirklees Council, with the boroughs largest majority, I am looking forward to my second term representing local people and the authority. 

The past year has been a challenging yet productive year. I have attended all full council meetings. At February's budget meeting I took the debate for investment in Dewsbury Town Centre forward to secure the towns future development. 

Over the past year I have chaired the new Dewsbury and Mirfield district committee. Working with cabinet we continue to develop the notion of devolution at district level. 

I also sat on the Environment and Development Scrutiny Panel and worked to address issues such as waste management, building services , library and museums and CSE. 

I have also carried out my roll on the Environment Agency Regional Flood and Coastal Committee and secured new funding towards flood alleviation schemes in Kirklees.  

My role as executive board member at YPO proved to be an exciting time as we set up a limited company section at YPO to allow us to trade with different organisations; I now sit as a board member here also. 

I have continued in my role as a LA govenor at St Paulinus RC Primary School and Carlton Road Primary School. 

Regular and ad hoc surgeries have been held around the wards in 2014/15 and an immeasurable amount of case work for local people has been completed.

If you need to contact me please call, text or email me. Otherwise, the Dewsbury west surgery is the last Thursday of each month from 7-8pm at St Paulinus Parochial Hall, High Street, Westtown.