Wednesday 1 October 2014

Annual Report 2013-2014: Cllr Masood Ahmed

Since being elected as councillor in 2006 this year has probably been one of my busiest years, representing my constituents and residents of the Dewsbury South Ward, which covers the areas of; Whitley, Briestfield, Thornhill, Thornhill Lees & Savile Town.

It has been busy for a number of reasons, firstly it was my third term to get re-elected as a councillor in which I was successful. I would like to thank all my constituents who supported and got me back in to represent them in Kirklees Council as their ward councillor. Secondly, my work load has become quite large and I have also become more busy. This gives me great confidence as my constituents keep coming back to me regarding their issues and concerns.

Once again I have come across so many wonderful and interesting people in my ward, some who have either become friends with or just kept in touch with. Through the cuts that are being forced upon us through central government, I have still managed to help new groups and organisations with support, advice and funding.

I would not have been able to deal with and address all these challenges without the support of the Labour Group colleagues and advice of Kirklees Council Officers in helping me deal with my constituents and residents issues and enquiries in my ward. 

COUNCIL MEETINGS ATTENDED:
During the past year I have attended:

Meetings of Full Council
Meetings of Licensing & Safety Panel
Meetings of Regulatory Panel
Meetings of Dewsbury Area Committee & Sub Committee
Meetings of Children’s Advisory Board
Meetings of Neighbourhood Management Group 

PARTICIPATION OF OUTSIDE BODIES:
I am member of the following:

Walker & Greenwood Educational Charity
Thornhill Poors Estate Charity
Dewsbury Endowed Schools Foundation Trust Advisory Committee

WARD WORK:

Community Groups, Organisations & Clubs – Supported & worked with Thornhill Trojans, SavileTown FC, Overthorpe Sports Club, Thornhill Cricket & Bowling Club, Foxroyd, Overthorpe, Thornhill Lees, Lees Moor TRA’s

Anti Social Behaviour – Liaised closely with Police and other agencies to look at and address ASB & Alcohol & Drug related issues across the ward.

Housing – I have supported many residents with Council Tenancies, advocated on their behalf & liaised with relevant agencies to resolve their problems & issues.

Adaptations & Grants – Dealt with and supported families with disability related problems.

Education – Supported many families with their Educational Appeals & written letters of support.

Planning – I have written letters of support & represented constituents at Planning Committees.

Road Safety – Supported & campaigned for traffic calming measures across the ward.

Health – I have supported, demonstrated, attended rallies and marches to keep services at Dewsbury District Hospital and have also been part of the Save the Dewsbury campaign team. 

ACHIEVEMENTS DURING THE YEAR:
Better Bowling Facilities at Overthorpe Sports & Social Club
I helped kick-start a rise in the number of junior bowlers at the Overthorpe Sports & Social Club. I also helped them secure funding from the Dewsbury Area Committee, to purchase more bowls, which has resulted in an increase of new bowlers at the club.

New Savile Town Sports Track – Savile Town
I was successful in securing funding for the new sports track in Savile Town Playing Fields. To help tackle the problems of diabetes, obesity, asthma and coronary heart disease across the whole of Dewsbury South Ward. The new facility will encourage people to be more active, keep fit and be healthy.

Excellent New Homes in The Combs – Thornhill

I am pleased that the new council homes have now been built in the Combs. As part of the £92.5 million Kirklees Councils ‘Excellent Homes for Life Project’ 8x1 bedroom and 10x2 bedroom houses. This will help some of those families that are desperately in need of a home to live in.

Road Improvements in Overthorpe – Thornhill

I have requested for better footpaths and road improvements throughout the Dewsbury South Ward and I am proud of the number of successes, one being Overthorpe Avenue in Thornhill. Where the elderly residents were having difficulty using their mobility scooters and wheelchairs, despite the pressure of budget cuts.  

New Dad Group in Dewsbury South Ward

I have supported the development of a new dad’s group in the Dewsbury South Ward. The group was successful in securing funding to encourage fathers to engage with their children’s learning and development. The group provides a place for the dads to get together, discuss issues such as healthy eating, mental health and good parenting.

Better Sports Facilities in Dewsbury South Ward

I was instrumental in securing funding for sports facilities in the Dewsbury South Ward. The funding will provide taster sessions at clubs, train people to become Sports Activators, encourage people to take up a new sport.

New Cycle Track – Dewsbury

A new cycle and walking track has been developed to give local people a new perspective and a healthy lifestyle in the ward.

SURGERIES:
I have held street surgeries across the area. My constituent and residents can call me or email regarding issues.

TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT:
I continue to try and take advantage of the Training & Development that is offered by Kirklees Council. I also attend necessary training courses, Labour Group seminars and refresher sessions to improve and develop my knowledge & skills.

CHALLENGES FOR THE YEAR AHEAD

Lack of suitable and affordable housing provision 
School admissions over subscribed 
Lack of leisure activities for young people 
Health & wellbeing – high levels of diabetes, heart disease and obesity in the ward.