Tuesday 7 October 2014

Annual Report 2013-2014: Cllr Karen Rowling

I have had a very rewarding and enjoyable second year as a councillor for the Dewsbury West Ward.  The knowledge and experience I gained in my first year has enabled me to deal with a far greater range of issues to help individuals and community groups in my ward.

I have supported many community groups in the past year including attending all the Tenants and Residents Associations as well as other groups such as Ravensthorpe Residents Action Group, Friends of Westtown, Friends of Crow Nest Park and Dewsbury Moor Big Local Lottery Group. 

I am the chair of the Dewsbury West Neighbourhood Management Group and also of Dewsbury West Children’s Centre Advisory Board.  The Neighbourhood Management Group is a multi-agency group involving Police, Fire Service, Young People’s Services, Kirklees Neighbourhood Housing and Environment Services, and is designed to share information to ensure we are taking a joined up approach to tackling all the major issues in the ward.  The Children’s Centre offers a wide variety of services for young people and families in Dewsbury West from nursery and day care services to parental skills training.

I also spend a large amount of time out in the ward carrying out street surgeries and speaking to residents to ensure that I am always aware of all the big issues affecting the lives of my constituents.  We hold a monthly surgery at St Paulinus Parochial Hall on the last Thursday of every month and I am always contactable by phone or text on 07778 927660 or email at Karen.Rowling@Kirklees.gov.uk.

Participation at Council Meetings:

I have attended every full council meeting since my election and in addition to this I sit on the following bodies:

Heavy Woollen Planning Committee

Dewsbury Area Committee

Scrutiny Committee – Development and Environment

Dewsbury Regeneration Board

I am also a Director of Kirklees Schools Services Ltd alongside Cllr Viv Kendrick

Training and Development:

I regularly attend Labour Group meetings to keep up to date on ever changing policy and procedures and I have also attended the following training sessions:

Planning Committee update

Safeguarding Children and Young Adults

The Future:

The council faces a difficult future due to very significant budget cuts and I am committed to working alongside my colleagues as we look at the implementation of these cuts and how best to protect the most vulnerable within Kirklees, and to continue to provide the first class service that the council has become recognised for. 

I have been appointed as Chair of the Wellbeing & Communities Scrutiny Panel for the year 2014 / 2015 and I am looking forward to taking up this role and dealing with the challenges and rewards it will bring.