Tuesday 22 July 2014

Annual Report 2013/2014: Cllr Mohammad Sarwar

I have continued my work on the Huddersfield Planning Committee which meets monthly and usually takes a full day to get through the agenda.

I have also attended every full council meeting despite having had two slipped discs which caused me a lot of pain and prevented me from walking for 7 weeks.

I have also attended a Training session for Planning, a meeting for the Transformation agenda and the local District Committee.

My ward work is far more intense with a heavy load of casework which is the norm for an inner urban area.

Whilst my two ward colleagues receive numerous queries from our Asian population, I tend to get the most – particularly the older residents often find it easier to communicate in our common language. I also assist my ward colleagues in dealing with casework where language may be an issue by acting as an interpreter.

I run a small business which many locals use as an office as a way of contacting me – I have a room set aside in my shop for this purpose. Many residents bring planning applications, passport or taxi license applications – councillors provide this service free of charge whereas some GPs are charging £60 for each application, which is beyond the means of some residents.

During the past year my records show I have dealt with 16 planning enquiries, 37 Passport applications and 14 taxi applications.

Other issues I have dealt with are:
  • The loss of a local bus service
  • Reports of dumped rubbish on the railway sidings, by the local quarry and in a nearby wood
  • Numerous calls about the loss of Housing Benefit
  • Disputes over land ownership
  • Supporting parents at appeal where children have not got places in their schools of choice
  • Writing letters of support in immigration cases.

Together these number 39 individual residents who I have dealt with throughout the year, as well as many of the cases mentioned above.
 
I am regularly asked to meetings by the local Mosque Committees where there have been concerns raised with the Imams by their congregations.
 
Although my colleagues and I have been invited to some local events, during my period of illness I have unfortunately had to send apologies to many of these and be updated by my two ward colleagues. However, I am now well on the road to recovery and have attended the opening of the Sandy Mount Extra Care Home on Blackmoorfoot Road – this is a great asset to the ward which will be open to residents in October.