Monday 3 December 2018

Annual Report 2017-2018: Cllr James Homewood


2017/18 has been my second year representing the Ashbrow Ward as Councillor. I have continued to advocate for my Ward and been working closely with community groups, the police and other local organisations.

My main areas of focus have been;

Tackling violent crime – This year has seen an increase in violent crime across Huddersfield and there has been a significant impact on Ashbrow with a number of incidents taking place. Along with my fellow Councillors I have been working closely with the police and other partners to reduce crime levels and to bring perpetrators to justice.  Due to Government cuts there has been a significant reduction in resources available to both the police and Council, it has been crucial to work with voluntary organisations who provide vital services and I’ve enjoyed working with some of the fantastic groups we have in Ashbrow. I’ve met regularly with senior Police Officers to discuss issues and find local solutions to crime, including meeting with the West Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner to ask him for greater focus on the issues in Kirklees. 
 
Case Work – I have completed case work on behalf of residents with varied queries including; planning matters, taxi licensing, fly tipping, and anti-social behaviour (amongst others). I have dealt with these matters by making site visits, escalating within the Council and working with other stakeholder (such as the police).

Local Events – I’ve attended and participated in a number of local events over the year including the Deighton Carnival and a number of cohesion events organised by local groups. The Ashbrow Awards was once again a great success and I was delighted to support this event and provide financial grants to support our excellent local voluntary groups.

Community Development - A key area of focus has been to support development of the community by working with local organisation and volunteer groups such as Local Services to You and Ashbrow Partnering Together, focusing on key community priorities. This has largely related to the continuing provision of vital services for such as youth services, projects reducing isolation and loneliness and the ongoing management of community buildings.

My other work in this area has included the following;
  • ·        Along with colleagues I have supported local groups with use of our Ward budget.
  • ·        Along with colleagues I have organised community clean ups with local residents.
  • ·        I have supported the Friends of Bradley Park group in order to complete and asset transfer and open a new community building.


Council meetings / Committees

Full Council – I have attended all full council meetings over the year. I have made speeches on a number of motions and key discussion items, representing the interests of my ward and the wider population of Kirklees.

Planning Committee – I have spent another year as a member of the Huddersfield Planning Committee, I have participated in making planning decisions using the knowledge gained during planning training to make decisions.

Licencing Committee – I have sat on the licensing committee, the main business relating to taxi licensing. I have also taken part in licencing panels to support the determination of premise licences.

Local Groups

Bradley Forum – I have attended the Bradley Forum on a monthly basis, sharing the responsibility to chair the forum with my fellow councillors. We have had a wide ranging discussion on local issues including; the local plan, fly tipping, anti-social behaviour, crime and fly tipping. Issues raised have been addressed by councillors working with the council, police and local organisations.

Ashbrow Ward Forum - I have attended Ashbrow Forum on a bi-monthly basis, sharing the responsibility to chair the forum with my fellow councillors. We have had a wide ranging discussion on local issues including; the local plan, fly tipping, anti-social behaviour, crime and fly tipping. Issues raised have been addressed by councillors working with the council, police and local organisations.

Training Completed
  • ·        Planning
  • ·        Licencing
  • ·        Safeguarding