Tuesday 15 August 2017

Annual Report 2016-2017: Cllr Mahmood Akhtar

It is a pleasure for me to present my annual report marking the end of another very busy year as ward councillor for the Batley-East ward.

Firstly I would like to start off on a positive note by congratulating Cllr Fazila Fadia who has now joined our team in the Batley East Ward. We have something in common that is our passion for local issues. I look forward to working with Cllr Fadia to help resolve any problems affecting local residents.

Participation at Council Meeting Committees
I have attended all full Council meetings and most Labour Group meetings. This year, I am a member of the following Council Committees and Panels:
  • Licensing and Safety
  • District Committee (former)
  • Planning Sub - Committee (Heavy Woollen Area)
  • The Labour Group Substitutes Panel
Participation on Outside Bodies
I continue membership of the following outside bodies:
  • Pakistan Muslim Welfare Society (Batley)
Ward Work
Most of my time as Ward Councillor involves doing casework for local individuals or families living in Batley-East. This includes taking a number of different actions such as doing home visits or site visits, continuously monitoring my emails, sign-posting queries onto other agencies – and then asking them to respond back to me on behalf of local residents. I listen to residents’ concerns and try my best, alongside my ward colleague, to help deal with their problems.

One of the main reasons why I became a Councillor was because of a desire which I had to play a part in making my contribution to help improve the quality of life for my ward residents, and alongside this work, helping to improve the quality of life in my ward’s many different neighbourhoods.

Taking on casework plays a very important in helping improve people’s quality of life – and it is exactly what I have spent a significant amount of my time doing over these past twelve months.

I have adopted a personal ethos which is to make every effort to respond back to incoming emails within half-an-hour if I am working from home.

Council Surgery
Alongside monitoring my emails, I also hold a regular Councillor’s Surgery at the Jo Cox House where residents also have an opportunity to meet me face to face in order to discuss any problems.

The following issues have been my priority for this year:
  • Ongoing concerns over New Housing Development and re-housing problems
  • Fly Tipping
  • Domestic/Neighbour Disputes
  • Pot holes and road repairs (under the Streetscene service)
  • Helping out and dealing with Immigration related issues
  • Dealing with queries relating to benefits
  • Helping local parents with school appeals
I continue to help and listen to residents who have complained about traffic issues and street parking problems.

Street lighting, overgrown trees/shrubbery and refuse collection, have also continued to be ward issues affecting local people, which I have reported and helped to resolve.

Once again, I feel very appreciative that I have had the opportunity to help my constituents to the best of my ability and hope to continue to serve my local communities for as long as I can as Ward Councillor for Batley East.

Training & Development
I have tried to keep up to date with developments and training that has taken place this year for ward councillors, in order to help me do more for the community and carry out my duties.

Community Cohesion
Despite my busy role as Ward Councillor, the last twelve months did see a very dark cloud come over area following the horrific murder of Jo Cox – MP for Batley & Spen. This tragedy clearly showed community cohesion is another area which needs to stay in the forefront of our local and national agenda.

I am sure Jo’s successor Tracy Brabin MP will continue her work and build upon the legacy that there is more which unites us than divides us. I wish Tracy all the best in her work, and look forward to supporting her over the forthcoming future.

The Next Twelve months
It is clear the next year will be another challenging twelve months for Kirklees.

The challenges are being hurled by the national Tory government’s huge cuts and reductions in funding to councils like Kirklees. As a result of these severe cuts, Kirklees is being strangled and is not providing a lot of services which it did before this Tory government came to power. The tragedy is most of our important frontline services have been reduced – having a direct negative impact on people’s lives – and obviously affecting their quality of life.

As someone who deals with a lot of email related casework, I have clearly seen how these Tory cuts have affected people’s quality of life.

I shall therefore continue to work with even more drive in order to encourage, to ensure, and to help local people to empower themselves and to work together as groups in order to make their voice heard. I will also do my best to liaise on their behalf with service providers, as well as with other different agencies.