Tuesday 4 October 2016

Annual Report 2015-2016: Cllr Musarrat Khan

It has been a pleasure to work with colleagues Cllr Naheed Mather and Cllr Peter McBride since being elected in 2015. As a Local Authority we are in a state of transformation in order to meet the difficult challenges resulting from central government cuts. The relationship and role of Local Government and communities is changing rapidly with an increasing reliance on the invaluable contribution made by residents and community groups and other partners across the voluntary and business sector.

I joined the Dalton team amidst the process of transferring assets to community groups such as Yetton Together, who are delivering excellent services to ensure the health and wellbeing of residents in Kirkheaton. I worked alongside my colleagues to advocate on behalf of our residents in the re-shaping of local services, such as grass cutting changes, changes to library provisions, changes to refuse collections and to obtain monies to repair roads, paths and to increase parking spaces. This year we see the introduction of new LED street lighting and monies are being secured to address other issues in the Ward. I worked with Officers to address anti-social behaviour problems and fly tipping and am currently looking at longer term solutions to persistent problems. My colleagues and I hold weekly street surgeries in the Ward. I have assisted residents with a wide range of problems such as housing, highway issues, anti-social behaviour, neighbour disputes and used my work experience and knowledge to helped residents access support and care services both within the Council and the Third Sector. I have supported victims of violent crime and domestic violence. I have helped struggling families to build their economic resilience by assisting their access to local initiatives. My colleagues and I are closely monitoring the impact of government cuts on the Ward and are continually pursuing alternative ways of ensuring the safety and resilience of the communities we represent. I have worked with the Dalton Housing Officer to contribute to the improvement of KNH accommodation in Dalton, actioned clearing of paths and submitted applications for a variety of schemes. My colleagues and I have successfully improved connectivity in the area both in terms of street repairs (details available in our Newsletter) and the availability of fibre optic broadband to more rural parts of the ward (HD5 -0JA, 0PN, 0PP & 0PW).

Within the context of ‘New Council’ the role of a local councillor is rapidly evolving and has led to closer working relations with community groups and residents. This ultimately means a more hands on approach as well as innovation and creative problem solving to find viable long term solutions. Building the capacity of communities, to do more for themselves in light of Government cuts is the greatest challenge local councillors’ face. This work is paramount in order to retain the excellent work done by my predecessors and my current colleagues. I continue to explore new initiatives and resources in the Dalton Ward usitilising alternative resources and networks as Council funding is reduced. This is within a context of increasing public expectations as we are trying to ‘do more with less’. Meetings with Kirklees College outreach services are on going as we develop pathways into education for residents. I was instrumental in the recruitment of volunteers for Dalton Library and this is an on going challenge. I am currently supporting a local group to address community cohesion in the area. I believe this is particularly important in light of the national rise in post-Brexit hate crime.
 
My greatest fear is that more people will become disaffected and social problems will increase in the ward, however, in my first year as ward councillor I have encountered a strong sense of community spirit and belonging. I believe this resilience is key to countering the impact of austerity and more appending government cuts.

Local Community Groups and Organisations

I have worked with Wiseminds to establish and deliver courses for vulnerable homeless people in Kirklees and continue to work with them with the view to bring more services directly in the Dalton Ward. I have met with staff at the Real Junk Food Project and am looking at how the residents of Dalton could benefit from such initiatives. I have fed back residents views at bus service consultations.

I have attended many local events and group meetings across the ward such as Cottage Homes Residents Group, the Kilner Bank Forum, Dalton & Dearne Area Forum, Dalton Ward Forum, Sure Start Steering Group, Friends of Dalton Library, Rawthorpe TRA, Yetton Together and attended Kirkheaton Future’s Neighbourhood Plan consultation. I have undertaken estates walkabouts with Kirklees Neighbourhood Housing and Pinnacle Housing Officers.  I work closely with the Police in order to address a wide range of problems. My colleagues, officers and I successfully held a ‘You and Your Community’ event in order to support local initiatives and activities that contribute to Health & Wellbeing. The beneficiaries include Outsiders Youth Club, Parents of Rawthorpe & Dalton Children Centre & 20-40@Moldgreen.

Other community initiatives and schemes were supported by my colleagues and I to secure small pots of funding. These included the Kirklees Swimming Club, West Yorkshire Police Good Citizens Scheme, Kirkstone Residents, Dalton Library Volunteer recruitment, Town Estate Connectors, Wood Street play area and Yetton Together. 
Council Meetings and Committees

I have spoken at full Council meetings on topics such as mental health, poverty and the proposed Government changes to tax credits. I have enjoyed using my experience and knowledge in scrutinising services as a member of the Health & Social Care Scrutiny Panel. I was instrumental in the formation of the ad-hoc Mental Health Scrutiny Panel’s terms of reference and worked on this panel to ensure the relevant services are accountable to the residents of Kirklees in order that they receive the best possible care. I have in my first year contributed to the Council’s Early Intervention & Prevention Policy and worked with the assistant director to inform and shape policy in order to best utilise existing alternative resources and also to link the private, third sectors with Council services as well as to highlight growing problems in terms housing support for families in private rentals. I have served on the Huddersfield Planning Sub-Committee. A continual challenge is to balance the need for housing with the need to retain public open spaces. Housing development is crucial not only to the local economy but also to meet the demand for housing. I have attended the Huddersfield District Committee alongside my colleagues to shape the priorities for the area.

Outside Bodies

I served as a board member on the Locala Partnership Board. As a delegate to the LGA (Local Government Association and to NABAEMC (National Association Black And Ethnic Minority Councillors) I contributed towards key discussions around social care, cohesion, and devolution.

Training and Learning I have undertaken
  • CSE eLearning
  • Awareness of Child Abuse & Neglect eLearning
  • New Councillor Training Programme