Thursday 6 August 2015

Annual Report 2014-2015: Cllr Shabir Pandor

I am delighted to present my annual report for the last 12 months. Once again it has been an honour and privilege to serve the people of Batley West and the borough of Kirklees. This year saw the general election roll out – although the Labour Party did not do as well as it could have done, we managed to get our new MP JO Cox elected with a good majority. My good friend and councillor Peter O’ Neill stood down from the council and his daughter |Marielle O’Neill got elected with over 5000 votes. Mike Wood retired as MP for Batley and Spen after 18 years of representing everyone within the constituency.
 
In Batley East where I was the election agent for Amanda Stubley we saw a massive turnout and a magnificent election victory.
 
The onslaught on local government and Kirklees council will continue as the Government continues to squeeze Kirklees Council. By the year 2018 the council will have been forced by The Government to cut and stop many public services that are valued by so many of our residents in Kirklees.
 
I have been in my current cabinet role for over 12 months now and have really enjoyed the challenges and opportunities in making a difference for all our young people.
 
Schools will continue to play a bigger role in our communities. This means that we will have to review our partnership working with all schools in developing a new future for generations to come. Special Education Needs and narrowing the gap in attainment will be a focus on the work we will be rolling out in the future.
 
Participation in Meetings / events
 
Once again I have attended every Council meeting since and attended numerous other meetings as a councillor representing my ward and in my role as a cabinet member. In the last municipal year as a cabinet met every week and have had cabinet meetings every fortnight. I was also a member of the policy committee and held portfolio meetings on a regular basis on top of the other ad hoc meetings, briefings and individual discussion with various officers.
 
I have continued to be actively involved in the Children in Care Council.
 
Earlier this year I participated with the Children In Care Council on their away day in Hesley Wood in Sheffield. 
 
  • Leaving Care – A successful transition
  • Reviewing Foster Placements
  • Question and Answer with the Children in Care Council
The youngsters in care also had the opportunity to put questions to participants to explore
 
  • What entitlements do Kirklees Care Leavers receive and what support is given to them to find appropriate accommodation
  • The reasons why they are in care
  • Questions around getting a passport
  • The impact of the changes within the care plan and the duration
  • Rationale in split siblings
  • How they can have a voice in care planning
 
I have chaired the Learning Board and School Organisation Advisory Group and I am a member of the Children’s Trust.
 
I have visited many schools and seen first had the fantastic work all our schools do within their communities and the difference they are making in enriching the education experience and developing all our young peoples’ potential for the future.
 
I am also very active in the ward and have attended events, meetings, conferences and other community related activities in my ward.
As a ward councillor I am a member of the Spen Valley district committee where we engage with our local communities with a view to ensuring communication and engagement with our communities.
As a Labour Party member I have continued to enjoy the work and challenges of being the Labour Group Secretary and I am Panel Interviewer for the Yorkshire & Humber Region for recruiting and selecting potential councillors within the Region. I attend LG meetings, CLP meetings Batley West Labour Branch Meetings where we have the opportunity to discuss and debate issues that are going to affect Batley and Spen constituency and the wider council and local government.
Ward Work – representing you
Despite being a councillor since 2001 and a cabinet member since 2009 I still very much believe in keeping my feet firmly in my ward and the best interest of my residents is a primary role for me. After all these are the people who have put their faith in me and I have a duty to serve them to the best of my ability. Over the last few years ward work has become more and more challenging, not least because of the impact the cuts are beginning to have on my constituents. Issues that I get involved in include:
  • Crime, burglary, speeding cars and other Anti-Social Behaviour issues
  • Highways, pavements, and in the winter months the demand for gritting
  • Fly tipping in built up areas (on one occasion someone around 100s of tubs of margarine was dumped)
  • Planning issues
  • Concerns around the threat to Dewsbury District Hospital
  • Issues in parks, play areas, trees and vegetation coupled with rat infestation
  • Housing issues
Despite the magnitude and range of problems being a local councillor helping communities is rewarding re-warding as it makes a difference to real communities and the people that live in them.
A rewarding experience was when the new surgery on Healds Road opened the Doctors invited me and Mike Wood, the previous MP for Batley and Spen. Little did I know that the event was in appreciation on the work I did to help them develop the new surgery. As a result I was presented with a certificate by Mike Wood and the GPs. I was also handed a petition signed by thousands of patients in recognition for my help and support. In my "off- the-cuff" speech I did mention that that this was the first time I received a petition that congratulated me for the work I did.
 
I have enjoyed the many events, open days, festivals and community events that have taken place in my ward organised by local community and voluntary groups. These range from Batley Vintage day, Batley Festival, Batley Christmas Lights, events at Batley CC and Mount CC, events at the PKWA and IMWS, events at Milen Day Centre, events at Wilton TRA, events at local churches and mosques, invites to local schools, Manor Gardens Allotment Project and the Gujratti Writers Forum (GWF) and other local voluntary groups.
At the Silver Jubilee Event of Gujratti Writers forum the group gave me an award in recognition on my support to their group in developing links with local schools and Batley Girls High School in developing literacy and poetry amongst young people.
Our Batley West team holds surgeries throughout Batley West ward. These effective in enabling us to understand issues within our ward and acts as an ‘early warning radar’ that can alert us and take proactive action for the benefit of our residents. 
Training and Development
As part of the Cabinet I have had been through a programme of developing my skills & Knowledge, this has included:
 
  • To reflect on how we are working as a Cabinet
  • Review of how we are working together
  • Communications
  • Decision making
  • Horizon Planning
  • Media and Presentation Skills for TV and Radio
The future……
I was hoping that this year I would be able to say the massive onslaught by Central Government has eased off and the cuts we were planning to make are not as drastic due to a change in national Government and policy. Unfortunately this is not the case.
I said in my last annual report that we will all need to Lobby Central Government for a better share of the money that is distributed to Kirklees from central government and in particular Highways funding to repair our roads. Well I can only reiterate the same message.
As I said last year The Government Grant for Highways has been cut from £20.4m to £8.6m (58% reduction), since 2009. The Government are cutting our budget by more than ever. By 2017 the budget Kirklees Council has control over will have been cut by £129 million, which equates to roughly 37% cut.
 
I wish to conclude this year by acknowledging my family who have supported me throughout my political life.
 
I would also like to thank my fellow wards councillors Gwen who has supported me well before I was elected in 2002 and to Peter whose commitment to Batley West was excellent and he will be missed by so many constituents in the ward. I’d like to extend a warm welcome to Marielle O’Neill who has just joined our Batley West Labour councillors team and is busy working hard.
 
A special thank you to our previous MP for Batley and Spen Mike Wood and his wonderful staff who I have always enjoyed working with.
 
I wish Mike all the best for the future as I know he is someone who will continue to fight for equality, justice and fairness.
 
I look forward to working with our new MP Jo Cox and her staff for many years to come.