Thursday 11 September 2014

Annual Report 2013-2014: Cllr Hanif Mayet

It gives me great pleasure in presenting this annual report for the last 12 month, a period that has seen a continuity of service to the constituency that was rewarded with the re-election of Cllr Mahmood Akhtar for the Batley East Ward. I am also pleased to report that I and my two colleagues, Cllr Mahmood Akhtar and Cllr Amanda Stubley, have formed an excellent working relationship and team spirit that will produce the best outcomes for both the constituency and the Labour Party.

Maintaining and improving relationship with the constituency will be of paramount importance as the Central Government Cuts begins to unfold and have its full impact on services year on year. Therefore, it is of great credit to everyone, mainly the officers, in combating the impact of these cuts to date. However, the struggle is not over; as for the period 2014/2015 the Council is facing further cuts of around £60m and then  following year even further cuts  which  will present severe challenges and pressures on services and public relations, therefore it is imperative that we ‘Protect and Prioritise’ services to those who are most vulnerable in our community, the elderly, the disabled, the children and those in abject poverty. 

Participation in Meetings

I have attended the Full Council Meetings, as I have endeavoured to attend the Labour Group meetings on fortnightly intervals. I have engaged effectively as a panel member of the Overview and Scrutiny Panel for Children and Young People, and my social work background aided in this process. And as a member of Town and Valleys Committee (Batley, Birstall and Birkenshaw), I have continued to maintain good working relationship with various local organisations to ensure they receive support in order for them to provide valuable community work.  I also attend many meetings that are held within the community.

Ward Work
For me, my ward work is the most important thing that I do as a Councillor, and it is something I enjoy doing. I continue to be kept busy in dealing with the many problems which residents pass on to me and my ward colleagues.  As the cuts starts to bite, I have seen my ‘ward’ work increase over the year and expect the trend to continue as many services will cease to exist or function at a minimal level.  Large part of my ward work is performed via telephone calls and emails, however, there have been many occasions where residents came knocking on my doorstep.
We continue to have an excellent working relationship with the Officers from Streetscene (Highways) to ensure that our roads are safer and in good condition from the budgets allocated for this purpose. Similarly, we continue to work closely with our policing team in Batley to tackle crime in the hot spot areas. We have continued to provide improved play facilities for the young children and supported local sport clubs by allocating grants through the area committee. All three Councillors work closely with the Council staff to carry out regular inspections to identify action needed to tackle litter, fly tipping, overgrown trees and shrubbery etc.

I get involved with a wide range of Ward issues on a daily basis throughout the year. However, the two biggest issues I am often asked to address is around lack of Housing, especially for the young people and Housing Benefits. The other major issue being Anti-Social Behaviour (mainly substance abuse/dealing)

Other related Ward issues are:

• Education          • Refuse collection        • fly tipping/Vandalism          • Immigration matters
• Roads (potholes) and Pavements             • Street-lighting                   • Aids and Adaptations

Development:

As a Ward councillor, training and development is an on-going process. Whenever a new situation arises, it has to be dealt with and this can often result in some form of training requirement to assist me in dealing with the task. I will continue to seek out training courses and seminars which I feel are relevant and appropriate and which will enable me to carry out my Ward duties, as well as Council duties, more effectively and efficiently. My main source of developmental need continues to be work related and in-house training.

Over the past twelve months, I have attended number of Labour Group Seminar days (often on Saturday Mornings) which has been very informative and beneficial as it give an in-depth insight on issues affecting the administration of the Council ad helping me to understand the decision making process of the Labour Party  cabinet.

Acknowledgements

In submitting this report, I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincerest gratitude for the support I have received in these past twelve months, as well as in previous years. I have already mentioned the fantastic working relationship developed with my fellow Ward Councillor colleagues Mahmood Akhtar and Amanda Stubley. I wish to extend my thanks and appreciation to my Party Leader, Deputy Leader, Labour Group and its Admin Staff, Branch Officers and Mike Wood MP for Batley and Spen  and many others for all their continuous support and encouragement.