Thursday 24 July 2014

Annual Report 2013/2014: Cllr Mohan Sokhal

My ward colleagues and I work together with support from my Greenhead Branch members, across the Greenhead Ward, to help individual residents or community groups in all areas from Paddock, Marsh, Edgerton, Springwoods, Birkby, Fartown, Hillhouse Lane, Cowcliffe and Norwood Estate. 
There are Tenants and Residents Associations in my Ward, and I try to attend as many meetings as I can. I attend Marsh Forum, Friends of Greenhead Park and Trinity and Greenhead Park Association.
I have dealt with numerous cases of individual enquiries such as immigration cases, writing letters of support. I have signed several passport applications and driving licence applications
During the year, I have alongside my Ward colleagues, carried out mobile surgeries every Saturday morning
I worked hard in my Local Election in May 2014 and won the election with a highest majority in Kirklees.
 
Local Achievements
  • We introduced the one way system on Blacker Road and a customer parking scheme for people who visit the Shops.
  • We successfully campaigned to remove the boulders which were blocking the access to the car park in Marsh. 
  • We worked with shop owners in Marsh and Birkby to improve security and enhance the local area and have prevented any new take-aways from opening in Marsh.
  • We successfully campaigned to prevent a large wedding banqueting hall from opening and attracted a new business to the former DIY store in Marsh.
  • Playworld is a new project that has opened in Marsh which provides activities for young people in Marsh and surrounding areas.
  • Many roads surfaces have been renewed such as Springwood Hall Gardens, Blacker Road and Thornhill Road.
  • Greenhead Park improvements: a new Petanque Court and a Bowling Pavilion was also opened.
  • Every year we get Christmas trees in Paddock, Marsh and Birkby.
 
Challenges for the year ahead
We are facing some challenges in Greenhead Ward as follows:
  • Lack of suitable and affordable housing provision
  • High rate crime
  • School Admissions are oversubscribed.
  • Lack of Leisure activities for young people
  • Pressure of migration of different nationalities particularly from Eastern Europeans in the schools such different languages.
  • Health and wellbeing of local community—high levels of diabetes/ heart diseases. Very high in South Asian communities.
Business Manager (Chief Whip)
 
I have been Business Manager since year 2011. I liaise between the group leadership and group members, ensuring that comments and information are fed back from the members to the leadership
I monitor the attendance levels of Labour members at Council or committee meetings and their activities in the communities. 
 
I prepare the reports for sitting councillors who wish to stand again in local elections.
 
Attendance
Local Community Group and Organisations
 
I have attended meetings at local community groups such as Sikh Leisure Centre and Marsh Forum. Also Birkby and Fartown activities events, Children Centre Advisory Boards, Friends of Greenhead Park, Neighbourhood and Management Groups Town Centre, NMG and others.
 Council Meetings and Committees
 
From May 2013 to May 2014 I have attended all the Full Council meetings and the following committees or panels:
  • Standards Committee and assessment Panels
  • Huddersfield Planning Sub Committees
  • Heavy Woollen Planning Sub Committees
  • Licensing and Safety Committee
  • Huddersfield Area Committee
 
Outside Bodies
  • Birkby and Fartown Children Advisory Board MGH
  • Marsh Forum
  • NMG Huddersfield
  • Regular meetings with Highways officers and NMG
  • Sacre meetings
  • West Yorkshire pension funds
 
Training
I have attended Council’s workshops Seminars on Full Council meetings and Labour Group seminars
  • Attended Planning Annual update Training
  • Attended Annual update Licensing and Safety committee Training