Wednesday 23 July 2014

Annual Report 2013/2014: Cllr Gwen Lowe

The time is nigh once again for my Annual Report. This is my 8th one! Over the years I’ve tried to vary my style of report to hopefully make it an interesting read. But my apologies this time because due to life being so stupidly busy, plus many changes in my own personal life and within the Council itself, this will be my shortest Annual Report to date (some folk may think thank goodness!) but I know I will feel unhappy about my production here……..

The highlights of being a councillor are that you get to work with such wonderful folk, both residents and council officers alike. Being a Councillor/Counsellor often merges. 2013-14 has been a very busy but as always a rewarding year.

Chair of Batley Neighbourhood Management Group – This is most definitely my favourite role. I have to include my thanks here to Zak Lunat, Community Safety Officer for his dedicated professional support. Through excellent partnership working (with the police, fire, council services such as StreetScene, Young Peoples Services and KHN) we tackle all kinds of anti-social behaviour and environmental issues. Once again over the last twelve months we have achieved so much to make our communities safer, cleaner and greener. My biggest achievement here was down to a woman’s instincts! On visiting a resident who’d many alleged grievances, I became extremely uncomfortable and later shared my concerns with the appropriate people. My concerns were taken seriously and shortly afterwards this person was under investigation – soon followed by an ASB order and being moved out of our area!

Chair of Batley, Birstall, Birkenshaw Area Committee – having Chaired this committee for many years, I’m very sad to see it come to an end as we move on to larger District Committees. We’ve shared many great meetings, covering many topics which local people relate to including Trading Standards, emphasising the dangers of Loan Sharks. This is me as “Gwenda the Lender Loan Shark".
Our final meeting in March 2014 again was Celebrating Communities where those who’d received Area Committee funding returned to give us feedback on what impact this money had made to their worthy projects.

I’ve continued to work extremely hard and thoroughly enjoy my Ward Work and this was recognised at the Local Elections in May 2014 as I was re-elected once again to serve the wonderful people of Batley West. Most of you know that instead of attending the (too) many meetings which as a councillor we must, I’d much rather be out there with you with my sleeves rolled up getting my hands dirty……which includes planting a wildflower garden.


Ward work is plentiful, varied and rewarding. I continue doing it “my way” by having “focused on site meetings” – works so well. Some of the issues are:-
  • Anti Social Behaviour/Community Safety
  • Poor state of road, especially potholes, blocked drains, grit bins – plus we hold quarterly Highways Meetings 
  • Fly tipping and litter
  • Overgrown trees and vegetation
  • Problems with parks and play areas
  • Housing issues – repairs and rehousing
  • Planning issues – lobbied by both supporters and objectors
  • Protect services at Dewsbury District Hospital
 
I could go on and on and on….you’d be amazed by some of the issues you are asked to deal with as a councillor! 

I WILL continue campaigning to put an end to Dog Fouling! I’m very well known for this as whilst out campaigning for the May local elections a resident opened her door to me exclaiming “You’re the Dog Poo Lady!” It was rewarding to get feedback from one major problem area that there’d been a 98% improvement.
I continue my regular “Environmental Visual Audits” of my ward ensuring we have a clean, safe ward.

It’s rewarding to work closely with Kirklees Neighbourhood Housing accompanying officers on walkabouts/estate inspections, helping and supporting residents to make their area safer and cleaner. It’d be nice if more residents joined us……
I continue to work very closely with The Friends of Staincliffe Park and the Bowlers to keep the park safe, clean and a place to be enjoyed and respected. Helped with a litter pick in the pouring rain!

I’ve been inspired by those involved with the Plant It Grow It Eat It project in Manor Way and have supported them to secure funding for this amazing community project. Good growing soil for radishes!
 
The opening of Food Banks is a sad sign of the times but I work with and support Batley Food Bank as I’m very proud of the work they do to help families in crisis.


One challenge I faced last November was the sudden arrival late one evening of travellers in a local community centre car park! Now I do have sympathy with travellers who just want a permanent site to live on and keep their area clean. But unfortunately this particular group caused a nightmare with dumping and burning of rubbish, human faeces, dogs running freely and a total disrespect for the community centre users. Again, great partnership working with the police, fire brigade and council officers the travellers moved off the night before the eviction order. The council officers arrived early next morning to do an amazing clean-up of the site.

99% of my diary seems to be taken over by meetings! Throughout the year, I attend Full Council, Labour Group (Chair) and our Batley West Branch and Constituency Meetings. I continue also on the Appeals Panel. 

I continued on the West Yorkshire Integrated Transport Authority which dissolved in March 2014 and is now the Combined Authority where I sit on the Transport Committee and Chair the Kirklees District Consultation Sub-Committee. I had the privilege of meeting Maria Eagle M.P. Shadow Secretary of State for Transport. 



I sit on the Committees for the Kirklees Church Partnerships and Batley Girls School Leavers Scholarship Awards. 
I really enjoy meeting and working with you wonderful people and again have many happy memories of times spent with local community groups and organisations, but also with individuals, just some of the many I could mention……..
  • P.K.W.A.
  • I.M.W.S.
  • Civic Society
  • Staincliffe Church and Staincliffe Junior School
  • Batley Bulldogs RLFC
  • Batley Cricket Club including Ladies events
  • Batley Central Methodist Church Annual Daffodil Rally
  • Denham Court
  • Local schools/children’s centres
  • Mr & Mrs A.
  • Mr & Mrs S.
I’ve been taking part in The Council Commissioning Group where we discuss a new look to how Councillors and Officers can improve their working relationships and provide the best outcomes during the next several difficult years. I continue to take advantage of the Training and Development Programme and attend any refresher sessions available; our Labour Group Seminar Days are very beneficial for this. But as we enter a new era of uncertainty of the “New Council” we will all have to adapt to a new way of thinking and working to get us through what will be the hardest period of my councillor life………but there must be a pot of gold at the end of this insipid rainbow? What will be the challenges be for me and the communities I represent over the next twelve months? My family and I too will be affected by difficult changes. But as Kirklees Labour Party ……..
WE WILL be honest with our communities – the good and the bad, be realistic. WE WILL tackle the cost of living crisis together, support local businesses and connect people to local jobs, support ethical alternatives to payday lenders. WE WILL keep the Kirklees pound in Kirklees, pay and promote a living wage, use local services to provide local solutions. WE WILL balance the books fairly, honestly and co-operatively, work and support communities to take over services we can no longer deliver, lobby central Government for a better share of Highways funding for road repairs. WE WILL support sports, leisure and all aspects of public health and wellbeing. WE WILL ensure every family has a safe and secure place to live, rooting out rogue landlords, build affordable housing, work with the Police and KNH to promote positive behaviours, continue tackling antisocial behaviour……..It will be a bumpy few years……….
And if you’re thinking about applying to be a councillor here’s a tip – Inform your family and friends about your new role, ask for their support and sympathy…..then cancel the rest of your life!!
Please can I finish with several big THANK YOUs to my wonderful husband Ken and family, Labour Group Support Staff especially Jane (I.O.U. still an egg custard) and Shabir, Peter and Mike Wood M.P. and staff.
 
Thanks for taking the time to read my Annual Report 2013-2014.
 
Gwen